AptumX: Opening the door to a new generation of consulting
AptumX: Opening the door to a new generation of consulting
Innovative firms are redefining the consulting value proposition. Implementing enterprise software solutions just doesn’t cut it any more. It’s time for a more business-oriented offering - guiding clients to the competitive advantage and business adaptability enabled by new technologies, supported by a Digital Twin Business Operating Platform from AptumX.
The inevitable rise of automation
- There is a widescale move to automation in every sector of business, accelerated by covid but founded on the realisation that the rewards are too great to ignore. All the evidence shows that growing numbers of executives and boards recognise this is something they have to do.
- However, just as the rewards are great, the potential pitfalls are many. The biggest risk is sub-optimisation: automating tasks and non-core processes when the real opportunity is to automate the business.
- Success depends on being able to create a really precise understanding of how the business operates. You cannot automate on 80% or 90% accuracy. However until recently there has not been the software available to provide the degree of high resolution that is needed.
- To date, tools used to define business such as Business Process Mapping have originated from the needs of IT, rather than the needs of business, for which they lack the required resolution.
- The arrival of Digital Twin software fixes this problem. AptumX is a high-resolution Digital Twin of business, combining the change management IP of Aptumus with the software of XSOL.
- With AptumX Digital Twin software and support, consulting firms will have the ability to apply a high-value, premium-priced service to give clients a high-definition platform with which to make them automation-ready, change-ready and able to manage their operations in real time.
Before automation, understanding
- Understanding how the client operates is the root of much consulting work – and certainly to being able to take clients through the journey of becoming an automated business.
- Existing tools that are used to provide this understanding are, without exception, limited: from business process mapping and modelling packages to process mining and ERP, none provides the complete visibility that comes with a Digital Twin.
- The Digital Twin transforms the ability to understand – and change – how the client’s business operates, and to see their business and its transactions from end-to-end.
The convergence of consulting and technology
- We see a convergence between consulting and technology, in which new services are created by aligning the consultants’ capability for holistic systems thinking and the Digital Twin’s business automation software that the consultants will uniquely craft to meet the needs of each client.
- The result of this convergence will be the real-time business, in which automation enables business people to make decisions based on real-time data, and where changes to business systems can be made in near real time. This is next-generation digital experience.
- This environment gives the consultant unprecedented capability to enable the client to change. Clients will no longer be constrained by the software systems supporting their business - their technical debt. They will be able to change course at any time with no overhead.
- To date, clients have been over-dependent on the pre-defined ‘one size fits all’ systems thinking of software vendors that is hard-coded into their enterprise software solutions. Using AptumX, consultants will supply a type of systems thinking that gives the client highly adaptable solutions designed specifically for them – where they need them.
No more ‘one size fits all’ software solutions. Consultants can guide clients to competitive advantage with new technology, advanced thinking and custom solutions.
Progressive transformation to a real-time business
- A real-time business is a fully automated business, and this happens at three levels:
- Workflow automation: Transactional processes are orchestrated, each stage scheduled, monitored, and controlled by automation software.
- Taskflow automation: Next, at each stage, be it at a desk or a work centre, tasks are automatically organised and presented to a worker or robot.
- Task automation: Finally, some tasks involve interacting with corporate data and these too will be automated in part or in whole.
- Today, automation is focused primarily on levels 2 & 3 – taskflow and task automation, where software such as RPA and iBPMS operate respectively. Because AptumX is integrated, starting with end-to-end workflow automation and dropping down into the detail when necessary, it provides a holistic and connected solution that supports and enables the transformation to a real-time business. It works with existing automated tasks (such as in ERP) and enables new ones to be created. Consultants and client staff can build and enhance systems using the AptumX Digital Twin model.
- The transformation to real-time business will be progressive as last-generation fixed-function software is gradually replaced, with consistent delivery of incremental benefits on the way. The client organisation will become highly adaptable, with productivity and quality transformed.
The opportunity for consulting firms
- Adaptability is an essential attribute for any business to successfully cope with the pace and variety of change they face.
- Consulting firms played a big part in introducing ERP to business from the early 1990s onwards. ERP took companies from no software to static software. Now, consulting firms have the opportunity to take their clients from static to flexible software, enabling adaptability and the evolution of the flexible business that can change with the demands and opportunities driven by new technology and business ideas.
- Companies will need continual assistance from a trusted partner. Change will become recognised as an everyday reality and throughout this ongoing process, the company will look to their partner to support them in operating their Digital Twin model, managing change and introducing technology, and this relationship can continue indefinitely.
- Transformation programmes will finally be consigned to history as continuous transformation becomes the norm. Existing software, including ERP, process mining, BPM and RPA do not provide the level of accuracy needed to support this – to automate, to become and remain flexible. Next generation technology will be critical. Successful automation and the enabling of creativity rely upon the Digital Twin of business: it will fit each customer like a glove. Change management services will be an integral part of continuous transformation.
- There is a massive residual investment in technology that is not capable of delivering an automated business, and consequently there are rich prizes for consulting firms who see the opportunity to do so.
Together, we can make major market inroads before we encounter any true competition.
If you're a consulting firm excited to join forces with us, let's talk: